Enter any departmental store today, watch a TV ad, or browse the internet. You will surely find something about Nootropics here or there. They are the new smart thing in the market(as their name suggests “Smart-Drugs“). Humans have always fantasized about Alien-sharp brain. This practice is being done for ages. So, they have finally invented something that boosts their mental capacity, increases their intelligence, and makes their brain cells work lightning fast. This drug is taking the market by the storm. According to a recent report, the brain supplement industry valuation will reach 5959 million USD by the year 2024. Isn’t it interesting? So, let’s dive into it. See what Nootropics are and how they increase your mental capabilities.
What Are Nootropics?
A Romanian chemist named Dr. Corneliu Giurgea invented the first smart drug, which was termed “Piracetam.”The drug was supposed to enhance memory, increase brain functionality, and improve your concentration. Experiments showed the magic pill was working. It was the start of a new era of the drug. And now numerous brands have shown up in the market with different product ranges.
The idea of taking up a supplement to make ourselves smarter is centuries old. People worried about their mental intelligence since the beginning. And with Nootropics they have taken it to the new heights. This magical drug is being used by students, entrepreneurs, artist, athletes, and top performers of every field. A survey suggests that at least 11% of the entrepreneurs in Silicon Valley use brain boosters regularly. You can imagine the popularity of these drugs by this simple example only.
How do Nootropics Work?
The human brain is one of the most complicated things in the world. One who needs to know the functionality of the nootropics should see how the brain works. So, the answer is as complex as the brain itself. But we will try to make it simpler for you.
- The human brain is a very complex organ, and it contains a high amount of neurons. These neurons are in a constant state of regeneration. It requires a lot of energy to keep neurons in an active state. If the energy level of the brain gets low, the respawn rate of the neuron also decreases hence decreasing the brain functionality. Neurons also require energy for their functionality. Although the brain weighs only 2% of your whole body mass, it requires 20% of the total energy consumed by your body.
Nootropics contain several important nutrients required by your brain to boost its performance.Nootropics help our brain energy by the following ways:
- Helping transport the fatty acid materials into the brain and increasing the functionality of mitochondria.
- By increasing the intake of oxygen & other important nutrients into the brain hence boosting its energy levels.
- By uprising the metabolic activities of mitochondria.
- Our brain is in a constant phase of repairing and reproduction. Brain cells get damaged, and they need to replacement. It’s a natural process. We can’t help it. This process is known as neurogenesis. The damage done to the brain can be through some odd reasons as well like anxiety, stress, depression, etc.
Nootropics can play an essential role in the regeneration of the neuro cell regeneration by following ways:
- By boosting NGF(nerve growth rate).
- By the increase, in the growth rate of choline.
- The brain uses approximately 15% of the total blood supplied by your heart. The blood carries oxygen, glucose, and other vital nutrients through arteries. And the veins take the waste material like carbon dioxide, lactic acid back. This process is called cerebral circulation. The cerebral circulation functionality declines with age. Its natural phenomena.
Nootropics increase the blood flow of the brain in the following ways:
- Making blood cells less viscous.
- Activating nitric oxide and relaxing blood vessels.
- Hindering homocysteine and damage to blood vessels.
- Neurons send chemical messages through neurotransmitters. There are approximately 86 billion neurons in your brain; they tend to interconnect with each other. Efficient signaling between neurons results in better functioning of the brain. If the signaling between neurons gets disrupted, it leads to poor mental health.
Brain Boosters tend to help the neurotransmitters to increase their functionality. Nootropics block a certain kind of enzyme which leads to the ill-functionality of the neurotransmitters.
- Nootropics increase the functionality of serotonin(a chemical in the brain responsible for well-being and happiness).
- They increase the overall functionality of neurotransmitters leads to higher brain performance.
Benefits of Nootropics
There are numerous benefits to taking Nootropics. They can improve your brainpower, Enhance your mood, relieve stress, Improve concentration, add to your sleep quality and hence improve your overall physical being. Nootropics reduce the effect of age decline, anxiety, and mental distortion. Therefore they can prove to be life-changer for you. Nootropics add to your brainpower by increasing brain energy and allowing you to stay on the top of the game. So, let’s get started.
Concentration is a critical ability of the mind to stay focused on a single task over a long period ignoring all the distractions. It’s a God-gifted ability. We may need our brain to concentrate on essential tasks like study, work, or competitive tasks. A lot of people use Nootropics to improve their overall focus and stay alert. Nootropics are scientifically proven to be very useful in improving the concentration and attention of the human mind. You can understand the role of nootropics in focus and concentration by an example. Approximately 11% of the entrepreneurs in the silicon valley take nootropics daily for improved attention and focus on their work. Nootropics are also proven to improve the clarity of your brain and divided focus(the ability of the mind to-do various tasks at the same time).
- Selective Focus: Many nootropics promise to help with your selective focus. Its the ability of a mind to stay focused on a task ignoring the background distortions.
- Divided Focus: Nootropics can also prove to be helpful with your multitasking.
- Cognitive Flexibility: Smart drugs are proven to be beneficial with your cognitive flexibility(the ability of the mind to transition from one task to another).
There are several nootropics out there which promise to improve your concentration. They include Citicoline, Rhodiola Rosea, L-theanine, and L-Tyrosine. The nootropic supplements which contain these nootropics in them are useful for the improved focus of your brain.
We all get stressed in our lives. Its the part of our lives, but sometimes we want to get rid of stress and want to live relaxed. Excess of anything is wrong, and the same is valid with stress. Stress can make your life a mess in no time. Study shows that people with long-term anxiety are very prone to mood swings, fights, and burnout. Nootropics reduce the effects of stress on your brain by:
- Restoring the brain chemicals that get drained when we are stressed.
- Enhancing the stress resistance material.
The nootropic supplements, which include Bacopa Monnieri, Rhodiola Rosea, L-theanine, and L-tyrosine are effective in stress reduction.
Memory plays a vital role in our day to day life. Without proper memory, we lose momentum in our life.
For example, if you forget your car keys in your apartment and have to go back to your residence to get it back, its a complete mess. Life gets embarrassing this way. In the modern age, due to the excess use of digital devices(we have everything saved on our digital tools), we are losing grip on our memory. Nootropics get us out of the hassle and help us sharpen our mind. Lots of people have problems with their short term memory. Studies show that one in every nine persons in the USA over 45 years have a memory problem. Its alarming. That’s where nootropics come into play. Nootropics help with short term memory, long term memory, and free recall. Nootropics boost the production of a brain chemical acetylcholine which is responsible for the mind.
The nootropic supplements which have citicoline, Bacopa Monnieri, Vitamin B6, Phosphatidylserine, and L-Tyrosine as an ingredient are proven to increase the capability of the brain to remember.
The mood is something which often people ignore when they are considering their mental health. Mood actioned are strictly linked to your brain, and nootropics tend to enhance your mood. Nootropics are proven to help with negative emotions like stress, depression, anxiety, etc.
Nootropics which include Bacopa Monnieri, Lion’s Mane Mushroom, and L-Theanine are effective in uplifting your mood.
Our brain requires energy to work correctly, and nootropics help here too. Nootropics provide the brain with the nutrients which are vital for brain energy. The mind is a powerhouse. It weighs only 2% of the human.
Body and consumes about 20% of body energy. An energized brain can think sharply and improve the overall performance of the mind. Nootropics help the brain get power in the following ways:
- Supplying the brain with a healthy amount of blood flow containing oxygen and glucose.
- Optimizing the brain cells.
- Strengthening brain resistance to stress, depression, and anxiety.
Nootropics which contain L-Tyrosine, Citicoline, Vitamin B12 & Rhodiola Rosea are said to increase brain energy.
Good sleep has numerous benefits, including good mood, relaxed mind, lower blood pressure, and an overall improvement in the human cognition. Using electronic devices which contain Bluelight severely
affects the sleep quality. There can be various factors which affect the overall sleep quality. Without proper sleep, the mind cannot function properly hence leading to poor brain functioning.
- Nootropics help you calm down your mind and enhance your sleep quality.
- Nootropics improve your dream quality, which leads to an energized brain.
L-theanine has shown various benefits adding to sleep quality in the research.
More and more students are looking for ways to improve their learning habits across the world. Learning new things in a shorter period is a challenge itself. There are various techniques which promise to
increase your learning capability, but none of them is as effective as the smart-drugs. Nootropics boost your learning capabilities, giving you an edge over your competitors. Nootropics are a proven magic pill for the people who want to excel in competitive exams, competitive sports, and at jobs which require constant learning.
- Cognitive enhancers increase mental energy.
- Brain Boosters help you focus and pay attention to a particular task ignoring the distortions.
- Nootropics help you with memory storage and memory recall function.
Nootropics, which include Rhodiola Rosea and Bacopa Monnieri, are scientifically proven to help you with learning.
Motivation is the key to the success of all the overachievers around the world. Its the motivation that Gets them up in the morning and keeps them working hard for their dreams. Without proper motivation, nothing extraordinary can be achieved in life. That’s for sure. Many people lose motivation, and hence, they remain underachievers throughout their lives. People who lack motivation are unable to use their full potential to reach their goals. People seek motivation in life through various sources. Some people watch inspirational stories, others do listen to motivational speakers, and some people use these magic pills. These brain boosters are scientifically proven to boost your motivation level. Increased motivation opens up new horizons. Nootropics modulate dopamine(a brain chemical) which leads to increased inspirational energy.
Reduced Aging Effect
Your mental capability declines with an increase in your age. That’s inevitable. Cognitive decline is a severe issue. Nootropics are said to decrease your age decline effect by a significant margin. Nootropics
provide you with essential nutrients which dramatically reduce the adverse effects of age decline on your mental health. Vitamin B6 or L-Thiamine have shown excellent results in improving your brain functionality over a long period.
Side effects of Nootropics
Are you taking a nootropic supplement and you are worried about the adverse effects? Don’t worry according to the definition of nootropics by the Father of Nootropics( Dr. Corneliu Giurgea):
“A Nootropic should not have any adverse effect on the brain”
So, according to the definition of the nootropics, it should not contain any such material which affects the brain functionality with a negative effect.
But the meaning of nootropics has also evolved. Therefore, you should be very careful in choosing your nootropics supplement. Different Nootropics, when combined, can leave adverse effects on your brain.
Plus there is a lot of difference between a nootropic in its raw form, and when you take it in the form of a supplement. Its due to the concept of stacking in the nootropics industry. Standalone nootropics give standalone results, but when different nootropics are combined, we can achieve magical effects. But everything comes with a price. Right? Same is true here. Wrong nootropics, when combined, hurt the brain. It can be due to either DIY project or usage of the wrong supplement. Hence, you should always use nootropic supplements with proven results and a good reputation. Adverse effects of using the incorrect combination of supplement can be:
- Brain Fog
- Digestive Discomfort
These problems only arise if you are using the wrong combination of nootropics or exceed the average frequency of supplement intake.